Waller High School’s Hope Academy is a school of choice program serving students in a non-traditional setting who are ‘at risk’ and in danger of becoming a drop out. The Hope Academy provides an alternative for students to be successful with flexible scheduling and a self paced curriculum. The Hope Academy is not a disciplinary setting. It is designed for students who are self motivated, willing to follow the rules and require no disciplinary action.
Prospective students wishing to enroll in the Hope Academy:
· Obtain an application from Ms. McCaffety, Coordinator
· Submit the completed application to Ms. McCaffety
Applicants will be selected on the basis of need due to limited space.
Admission to The Hope Academy is based upon a completed written application, an interview with the prospective student, evaluation of all school records and a parent/guardian interview.
· Students must be between the ages of 16 and 20 years
· Students must have completed at least 2 years of high school
· School records evaluated: attendance, transcript, discipline,
and TAKS scores
· Student must be able to work in a computer-based self paced
The Hope Academy Will Not Serve Students who:
· Want to make up credit and return to traditional school
· Are violent or incorrigible
· Require extensive academic remediation
· Are not self motivated or self disciplined
· Are currently assigned to DAEP
In order for students to succeed, it is vital that they are prompt and regular in their school attendance.
· Students are expected to attend class during their assigned
· Students are expected to earn a minimum of one credit per month.
· Students must comply with the state compulsory attendance laws.
· The ‘Stay in School Program’ will be enforced.
Students who have difficulty in meeting attendance and/or academic progress standards are subject to dismissal from the program.
Hope Academy Rules and Guidelines
· Students must follow the Student Handbook for Waller High School
· Due to the fact that the Hope Academy is non-traditional, students
will not be permitted out of the classroom during exchange periods.
· Students will be given restroom access as needed.
· Teacher will review the classroom procedures and rules.